Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Cove. You need to watch it!

Have you watched The Cove yet?

If you haven't, you really should. It's important for everyone to watch, even if you don't consider yourself an animal lover (If you love one type of animal, for example your cat, your dog, you're an animal lover in my book!). This movie is sad and touching and yes in parts hard to watch, but it's also extremely inspiring. Makes me want to do my part. Which is why I'm spreading the word right here. I truly think it's crucial to take the time to watch this movie. Not to mention, it's just a well made, captivating documentary. A keep you on the edge of your seat movie! You seriously cannot believe some of the things that happen in this movie! It has also won award after award, most notably an Oscar for Best Documentary.

Now to be open and honest about where I am coming from, I have always been a huge animal lover. One of my favorites without question is the dolphin. They are such interesting creatures, brimming with intelligence, love and a quiet understanding. But like I said, even if you don't consider yourself an animal lover, this movie is still important. The movie is described really well on their Facebook page:



The Cove exposes not only the tragedy of dolphin slaughtering in Japan, but also the dangerously high levels of mercury in dolphin meat and seafood, the cruelty in capturing dolphins for entertainment, and the depletion of our ocean’s fisheries by worldwide seafood consumption. We also see how the mandate of the International Whaling Commission has been manipulated by the Japanese Fisheries Agency for its benefit and its subsequent effect on the rest of the world.


So it's not just about the dolphins. It's also about a cover up and how it's effecting our health and politics across the globe.

Please please take the time to at least watch the videos posted below. And fair warning, some of the images are not kid-friendly. This is not a movie (or preview) for children. I want to also say that I'm not implicating Sea World or any other similar place in this blog. That's not what I'm talking about or wanting to address. I am only saying that I don't agree with what's happening in the town in Japan where this is taking place.

If you are inspired and want to learn more or help out, check out The Cove on Facebook. Or check out their website or the movie website.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Share it!